It’s extremely beneficial to periodically feed your body nothing but food in its natural state—in other words, food that it will immediately recognize and know how to break down without any additional effort. In the process, you’ll be releasing toxins, which can cause you to feel a little blah, but you’ll come out the other end cleaner and lighter than you went in. To help sweep toxins from your system, spend some time in the sauna or take a hot Epsom salt bath before bed. You’ll feel tired after you do this—plan to sleep like a baby!
Here are the guidelines to follow for this oh-so-gently detox, which involves staying away from several foods and sticking to a handful of healthy ones, instead. Ready?
Foods To Avoid
- AVOID all additives and preservatives, colorings, and anything manufactured at all.
- AVOID foods to which you have known sensitivities or allergies.
- AVOID dairy
- AVOID sugar and other simple refined carbohydrates, such as corn syrup, sucrose, maltose, lactose, maple syrup, white flour, potato chips, and corn chips. Choose your carbs wisely by choosing those lowest in sugar and highest in fiber, protein, vitamins, and minerals. Eat one serving of carbohydrate with each meal but not more.
Foods To Enjoy
- EAT organic animal protein, beans, raw organic nuts, or nut butters with every meal.
- EAT water based (non-starchy) vegetables at every meal. Consume leafy greens such as kale, collards, chard, mustard greens, field greens, and fresh spinach daily.
- EAT fruit moderately. Wash well and/or peel before eating to remove mold. Apples, pears, and berries are best. In general fruit should be with other foods. Nuts and fruit are ideal and make a great snack food, but moderation is key.
- EAT the freshest food possible. Do not eat any leftovers that have been in the refrigerator longer than 24 hours.
- Beverage: Almond milk, chamomile tea, lots of water
- Grains: Amaranth porridge, buckwheat groats, brown rice or quinoa
- Fruit: Apple, blackberry, blueberry, cranberry, grapefruit, lemon, lime, papaya, strawberry-all low glycemic fruits
- Legume: Alfalfa, black-eyed peas, garbanzo beans, green beans, kidney beans, lentils, lima beans, navy beans, peas, pinto beans, soybeans
- Nut: Almond, hazelnut, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds
- Organic Protein: Organic chicken and turkey and wild-caught fish
- Seafood: All seafood is fair game!
- Vegetable: Asparagus, avocado (technically a fruit, but it’s low in sugar), broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, chard, collard greens, cucumber, garlic, kale, leeks, lettuce, mustard greens, okra, onion, parsley, peppers (bell and chili), radish, scallions, spinach, turnip, turnip greens, zucchini
- Starchy Vegetables: Artichoke, beet, jicama, parsnip, pumpkin, sweet potato, turnip, winter squash
Make sure you are drinking ample water throughout the day to continue flushing toxins from your system. If you want to continue this protocol beyond a week, you can for up to a month and see great results!
Author’s content used under license, © 2012 Sprouted Content, LLC with a bunch of changes to make it Clean & Green