Stubborn Middle Weight
How did it get here and how can I get rid of it?
You probably know by now, you cannot lose weight exclusively in one place. Weight loss happens all over the body. But weight gain can accumulate in the middle of your body because that’s where a lot of our fat cells are. When your body holds on to fat cells…they simply engorge the fat cells that are already there and make new ones nearby. Why?
Top Reasons for the Muffin Top
- Your stress is off the charts; stress hormones are fat promoters
- Your thyroid is sluggish, causing weight gain
- You’re exhausted and not sleeping well, causing internal stress
- Your sex hormones are off, probably due to #1
- Your eating is skewed to the later parts of the day; sleeping too close to big dinners
- You’re not drinking enough water; your body is made up of muscle, skeleton, fat and water. Less water means more fat.
- You’re over or under exercising or doing the wrong exercise for your body; this could be stressing your body (see #1)
- You’re addicted to sugar; too much sugar increases body fat
- Your portions are way off for your body; too much food increases body fat
- You’re not planning enough and quick-grabbing too much — more processed food leads to more fat
It might not be one reason, but a couple or many that are contributing to your accumulating middle weight. The point is there is SOMETHING awry that needs to be balanced or changed.
What to do?
- Habits – The first step is to take a good hard look at your habits. Change something. Does it make a difference? This type of self-inspection is hard for some, but a very helpful first step. Small changes add up.
- Seek Help – If you’re trying — really trying — and the weight is stuck, your stress, sex or thyroid hormones might be off. Ask your doc to help test hormone levels. We can test those as well. Replenish and rebalance your hormones. Once we know where the imbalance is, there are nutrient and food-related changes that can be made.
- Different Exercise – If you’re working out a ton, you might need to switch it up and incorporate different types of exercise. Try more aerobic exercises for more fat burning.
- Drink More Water – In order to lose fat, you need to add more water to help flush it away.
- Sugar – Do you have a wicked sweet tooth that derails you everyday? Add MORE fat. That helps to lessen the sugar cravings.
- Food Timing – Change up your meals and snacks. Look at your timing. Is most of your food eating after 3 p.m.? Do you need to reset when you’re eating more so than what you’re eating? We’re good at this. Let us help you.
- Planning – Do more planning and then execute your plan. It could be you get too hungry and grab crap instead of yummy, delicious whole food.
If what you’re doing isn’t working, let’s make some changes. Many times, it is an accumulation of minor changes that add up to the body that you want.
For more info on melting muffin tops and feeling your best through smarter food choices, please contact our holistic nutritionists. It’s a personal puzzle, but we can assist in figuring out what’s best for your body.